History of Connexus Energy

Connexus Energy has served its communities for more than 80 years, since a group of residents formed the Anoka County Cooperative Light and Power Association in 1937, bringing electricity to the north metro. Today we serve 130,000 resident and business members in an area from St. Cloud to Stillwater.


The History Of Connexus Energy – A Timeline

2019
Renewables all the way! Connexus Energy’s Ramsey campus is powered by 100% renewable energy

2018
Connexus Energy’s solar plus battery storage facilities in Ramsey and Athens Township begin operations and gain national recognition.

2017
Our community solar garden starts producing honey. Connexus, in partnership with Bolton Bees, creates the country's first bee apiary in a solar garden.

2014
Connexus Energy builds what was at the time one of the largest community solar gardens in Minnesota and introduces the SolarWise program.

2012
Connexus Energy commemorates its 75th Anniversary.

2006
Connexus Energy reaches a significant milestone when employees record one million hours without a lost-time accident.

2004
For the first time, Connexus Energy participates in the J.D. Power Customer Satisfaction Survey of electric utilities and scores in the top ten.

2002
Connexus plays a substantial role in bringing the Amber Alert program to Minnesota, and introduces the Cash Back program.

2001
Connexus Energy becomes the first electric cooperative in Minnesota to serve 100,000 customers.

1998
Anoka Electric Cooperative becomes Connexus Energy, and Service Guarantees are introduced.

1997
Anoka Electric Cooperative moves its headquarters from Anoka to a new building in Ramsey, Minnesota, and for the first time in its history, all operations are at one location.

1987
Anoka Electric Cooperative commemorates a milestone with a 50th Anniversary celebration.

1960s
A home economist shares the advantages of using electricity and provides tips on small appliance care, cooking, and laundering at a demonstration kitchen at the Anoka Electric Cooperative facility.

Mid-1950s
Population growth spreads into the northern suburbs from Minneapolis and St. Paul. Today, suburban development in the north metro continues at a rapid pace.

1954
The cooperative achieves its original goal of bringing electricity to the farmers of north central Minnesota.

1953
Anoka County Cooperative Light and Power Association headquarters in Anoka, Minnesota, which will serve as the general office complex for the next 44 years.

1940s
Anoka County Cooperative Light and Power Association changes its name to Anoka Electric Cooperative.

1937
Anoka County Cooperative Light and Power Association is formed. A year later, the cooperative has more than 1,100 members.

1935
President Franklin D. Roosevelt issues an executive order creating the Rural Electrification Administration (REA), bringing electricity to more than six million farms – nearly 90% of all farms in the United States.